Stanmore Office

We are an independently owned Estate Agency Franchise. David Benson and Keith Comley have held the Stanmore franchise since 2005. Both have in excess of 30 years’ business experience. David, a Stanmore resident living a few minutes’ walk from the office, is married with three grown-up children and recently became a grandfather for the third time. Keith is married to a school teacher and the father of two teenage children; he joined an Estate Agent in Potters Bar straight from school and has worked in Watford, Enfield and Southgate. The Stanmore staff are a blend of youth and experience and all have an aim to be sympathetic to both clients and applicants. Stanmore operates as both Sales and Letting Agents, specialising in property management.

The office covers the full spectrum of property available in Stanmore, Harrow Weald, Canons Park and the surrounding areas. If we have a specialist sector it would be family houses. Within the past year we have let out a 5-bedroom house at a rental of £3,500 per month and sold flats above shops, yes the full spectrum! We aim always to be realistic in our valuations and straightforward in our property appraisals. We can always discuss options and opinions as to what is best: Should I sell? Should I extend? Should I let out? We do not operate with a separate Lettings and Sales department, the principals and the staff are trained and experienced in offering good professional advice.

About Stanmore

History

The area was recorded in the Domesday Book as Stanmere, the name deriving from the Old English stan, 'stony' and mere, 'a pool'. There are outcrops of gravel on the clay soil here and the mere may have been one of the ponds which still exist towards the top of Stanmore Hill close to the cricket ground. By 1574 the area had become known as Stanmore the Great to distinguish it from Little Stanmore. Stanmore Village railway station was open for train services between 1890 and 1952. Stanmore Underground station opened in 1932. Stanmore is the location of RAF Bentley Priory where the Battle of Britain was controlled and also RAF Stanmore, HQ of Balloon Command.

Property & Design

The style of property in Stanmore is mainly that of early 20th century. Laing homes have developed large parts of the town including the popular ‘Laing Estate’ consisting of traditional 1930s ‘3-bed semi’ style housing, much of which has now been extended every which way! There was a surge of building in the 1970s and 80s and again within the last 7 to 8 years. There are two large developments presently under construction, one on Honeypot Lane and the other close to Canons Corner. The area has properties ranging from small 1- and 2-bedroom flats to substantial 5- and 6-bedroom detached residences. A modern feature has been the construction of many purpose-built blocks of flats within walking distance of the Tube station, making Stanmore a popular and most convenient location for commuters with the Jubilee Line leading directly to the West End and the newly developed business area of Docklands.

Shopping

Stanmore Broadway provides shopping facilities to the local community. At present there are two large supermarkets, upmarket clothing shops, beauty salons, barbers, opticians and most high-street banks and building society offices, betting shops and travel agents.

Sports & Fitness

If sport, fitness and the outdoors are on your mind then Stanmore is the place for you! It offers the famous historic Stanmore Cricket Club and the Harrow Rugby Club. Stanmore Common is a renowned local beauty spot and a dog-walkers’ paradise. Stanmore Golf Club is located on Gordon Avenue while there is a driving range on Brockley Hill. Stanmore Tennis Club (the location of The Elms School Of Excellence) is in the centre of Stanmore as is a newly opened ten-pin bowling alley. Locally there is Canons Park, Aldenham Country Park, Heriots Wood and Deer Park. There are three modern gymnasiums within about two miles. Watford’s Vicarage Road and Queens Park Ranger’s Loftus Road are easily reached for Championship football. Rugby Union’s Saracens also play at Vicarage Road, about 15 minutes’ drive away.

Transport

Stanmore Station is on the London Underground Jubilee Line, which is only 32 minutes to Bond Street Station, London. Mill Hill Thameslink station is about three miles away. Excellent bus routes also provide Stanmore with ease of access to and from Barnet, Finchley, Brent Cross, Watford, Edgware, Harrow and Hatfield. The M1 and A41 connection to the A1 are both about a mile from the centre of Stanmore.

Celebrity & Famous Residents

Stanmore is the birthplace of many famous faces including comedian Matt Lucas, the sensational Arsenal and England footballer Theo Walcott, Billy Idol, football coach Dave Bassett, Linda Hayden and author Anthony Horowitz. Many celebrities have called Stanmore their home, notably Roger Moore when married to Dorothy Squires, while local legend has it that Tom Cruise and Leonardo Dicaprio were both flat owners in the exclusive Gothic Stanmore Hall conversion.

Restaurants, Cafes and Nightlife

Stanmore provides ample places to eat and drink. Prezzo and Pizza Express cater for lovers of Italian food, while the Apollonia is an excellent upmarket restaurant and venue. Fast food places include McDonalds and Subway. There is also a Café Nero, numerous Indian and Chinese restaurants and take-aways. Madisons salt beef bar and Buckinghams deli attract customers from miles around. Stanmore has 6 or 7 pubs, including The Leefe Robinson, Crazy Horse vodka bar and a Wetherspoons that opens for breakfast!

Schools, Education & Institutions

Stanmore has a good selection of schools and colleges. North London Collegiate (NLC) girls’ school is among the most academically successful schools in England, having been placed in the top five in the Daily Telegraph exam league tables every year for over a decade. Other schools in the area include Whitchurch, Aylward, Park High, Stanburn, Stanmore College and St John’s Church Of England. Stanmore College provides both traditional daytime further education and a plethora of evening classes. Many people move to Stanmore for schooling, the area being considered one of the best in North London for education. Schools such as Queen Elizabeth Boys in Barnet, Merchant Taylors in Northwood and Haberdashers’ Aske’s in Elstree are all within easy driving distance or served by school buses.

Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital

Nationally and internationally Stanmore is known for this hospital. The Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital NHS Trust (RNOH) is based in Brockley Hill, Stanmore, and is a National Centre of Excellence. It treats patients from across the UK, many of whom have been referred by other hospital consultants for second opinions or treatment of complex or rare conditions. Patients are also referred to the hospital from many other parts of the world. The RNOH was founded in 1905 with the amalgamation of London's three specialist orthopaedic hospitals and can thus trace its history back to 1838. During the First World War, the hospital became an emergency hospital for the military and in early 1918 also housed discharged disabled soldiers. King George V and Queen Mary visited the hospital on two occasions. 1920 saw the start of a hospital funds appeal, with the first annual fundraising 'Buttercup Day' being launched by HRH the Duke of Gloucester, Patron of the RNOH. In the 1930s the hospital became known as the leading centre for the treatment of poliomyelitis and tuberculosis and in 1936 the building of the Stanmore Cripples Training College was started. The RNOH was at the forefront of significant advances in the treatment of orthopaedic conditions in the first quarter of the twentieth century. Advances in scientific investigations made the diagnosis of disabling conditions more accurate and often at an earlier stage in the patient’s illness. This meant that patients for whom there would be no possible cure then had the opportunity to be relieved of their pain and deformity. The RNOH saw the outbreak of the Second World War with many 'Nissen' huts being erected to house civilian orthopaedic cases and casualties. Patients were brought from across the country, including those from hospitals near the coast, areas close to airfields and other military installations. In 1945 the RNOH was recognised as a postgraduate teaching hospital and it was recommended that an Institute of Orthopaedics should be founded and that it should be associated with the RNOH. With the formation of the Institute came a joint appointment between the two centres, that of Mr Herbert Seddon, who in 1964 was awarded a knighthood for his work in orthopaedics. 1948 saw the start of the National Health Service from which time the RNOH became an independent teaching hospital. The RNOH's work into orthopaedic care continued when in 1950 the hospital moved into the treatment of scoliosis, back care, leg inequality, hand and peripheral nerve injuries. Training and research has played an important part in the hospital's work, resulting in the development of dedicated units, the training and teaching of consultants overseas as well as UK medical students and nurses. In 1979, HRH the Prince of Wales opened a Rehabilitation Assessment Unit, built with funds raised by the British Motor Racing Drivers’ Association, in memory of Graham Hill who had once been a patient of the hospital and a council member of the Friends. Following years of research and treatment into spinal injuries, the RNOH opened a spinal injuries unit, one of the first of its kind. The London Spinal Unit was officially opened by HRH the Princess of Wales in 1984. Always a forward-looking hospital, the RNOH is unquestionably a jewel in the crown of NHS neuro-musculoskeletal care with an international reputation for pioneering treatment and excellence in both routine and complex patient care delivery. There is a planned redevelopment that will allow the RNOH to deliver neuro-musculoskeletal (orthopaedic) care more effectively and efficiently with capacity for treating more patients. This redevelopment is scheduled to commence within the next 4 years.

 

 

stanmore_office


Meet the team

Click on any of the team members below to see their profile.

Keith Comley

keith_comley

Keith Comley-Franchisee

 

Keith concentrates his efforts on the Sales market, having started as an Estate Agent upon leaving school he has a wealth of experience in the property sales market in North London. Keith is a member of the NAEA and ARLA.

David Benson

david_benson

David Benson - Jt. Managing Director

 

David is our property manager and responsible for all our property accounts. David has many years of property experience having been involved in the selling, renting and management of property in North London for over 25 years. David is a member of the NAEA and ARLA.

Louise Robertson

louise_robertson

Louise Robertson-Office Administrator

 

Louise has been with the Stanmore Branch of Ellis and Co since 2005, she is responsible for the secretarial and administrative aspects of our office. She is well organised and always able to assist any enquiries you may have.

Max Heath

max_heath

Max Heath-Negotiator

 

Max has been working in Estate Agency since 2007. He has worked in both Sales and Lettings and has a great knowledge of both sides. Max concentrates his efforts on Obtaining New Instructions, Successfully Agreeing Offers and Negotiating Renewal Contracts.

Office Details

Ellis & Co Stanmore

66 The Broadway
Stanmore
Middlesex
HA7 4DU

Sales Tel: 020 8954 0066
Sales Email: stanmore@ellisandco.co.uk